A shop steward is an employee who represents and defends the interests of fellow workers, as a labor union member and official. With the help and training of the union, shop stewards:
- Monitor and enforce the provisions of the collective bargaining agreement (labor contract) to ensure Burgerville managers are not violating the terms of the agreement.
- Ensure that Burgerville is in compliance with all federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Represent and defend fellow workers
- Communicate and disseminate official union news, information, and decisions to workers in the shop.
- Keep a finger on the pulse of how your fellow workers are doing and communicate their needs to the union
- Popularize and promote union consciousness and values in the workplace